We’d like to have the following quick guide to be always updated for the benefit of new visitors coming to Xian City Wall. If you have any questions or anybody having used the piece finds necessary updates, please leave a message or feedback. Thanks!
Xian is home to the most complete and well-preserved ancient city wall in China and one of the largest ancient military defensive systems in the world as well.
You can stroll, even cycle or take a buggy around the Wall. Plan your Xian tour? Xian City Wall, not to be missed! The city wall itself is very impressive and ascending the wall allows you to look out on the new city from an ancient structure, avoiding the crowds and traffic with a better feel of the historical changes in the ancient capital of Xi’an with the fast development in the modern times.
Tips1. How to get thereThough there are totally 18 gates to the present city wall of Xian, only the four major gates are open to the public, namely South Gate, West Gate, North Gate and East Gate. You may choose any of the four gates to ascend the wall.
Just find out which gate is closer to your hotel and start up your trip to the wall. Many people would like to choose the South Gate, the largest gates of the four. It’s a 10-minute walk down south along the South Avenue from the Bell Tower to the South Gate.
The South Gate to Xian City Wall
Alternatively you can take subway line 2 from Bell Tower in the south direction and get off at the next station of Yongning Gate and exit either from Exit A1 or D1.
2. Entry Fees and Opening HoursEntrance fee: 40 RMBTicketing Offices: at any of the four gates to the WallOpening Hour: 08:00 – 20:00Suggested Travel Time: 1-3 HoursTel: 029-87283602, 87286373
Ascending Xian City Wall
3. Best time to visit Xian City Wall1) Best Months to Visit: March – June, and September – November. If you visit in July and August, the hottest months in Xian, you’d better choose to visit Wall either in the morning or after sunset to avoid the scorching sun.
2) Best Time in a Day to Ascend the Wall: Morning or later afternoon. There are parks at the base, below the wall and you can see people doing morning exercise or dancing in the evening. Ascending the Wall in the early morning to control the crowd or come to the Wall late in the evening so that you can see the wall to be lit up or enjoy the sunset over the Wall.
4. Strolling on Xian City WallThe top surface of the wall is a wonderful promenade. Walking all the way around the wall takes about 2 – 3 hours, depending on how fast you are. Don’t forget bring your hate, bottled water, sunglasses and have sunblock for the stroll.
If you have no time to walk all the wall or you have no fancy for the long walk, you can choose to have a shorter stroll starting from, let’s say the South Gate and get off from the West or East Gates.
5. Riding Xian City WallRenting a bike or return your bike at any of the four gates. Basically you are required to return your bike at 6:00pm. If your riding has surpassed the designated 6:00pm, you can return your bike at 8:00pm at the South Gate.
There are plenty of bikes, single and tandem, that can save a lot of time from your walk. You can rent a single bike at 45 RMB or a tandem at 90 RMB for 2 hours. The hire stations are located at the access points of the four gates. the bike ride takes about 1 hour.
Biking on Xian City Wall
The bike ride is a little uncomfortable with the surface a bit bumpy due to the cobble stone paved surface, hurting your hands, wrists or buttocks a bit.
6. Taking a buggy around Xian City WallAs a third choice to go around the wall surface, you can take a battery buggy driven around the entire perimeter. For an ordinary buggy for one circle, you need to pay RMB 80 or 120 for a luxury buggy.
Taking a buggy around Xian City Wall
You also can take the buggy section by section, which costs you 20 RMB for an ordinary buggy and RMB 30 for a luxury buggy between two stops.
7. English SignageThere are English signs pointing to the directions and many signs also give you the history of the wall.
8. ToiletUse the toilets at the entrance, and there are no restrooms once you get onto the surface.
9. Little shops on the WallThere are small shops on the surface of the wall for drinks, some refreshments or small souvenirs.
10. Vendors below the WallThere some souvenirs stalls from vendors near the gates.
11. Local Activities below the WallTake your camera or iPhone to have some interesting candid photos of the local activities near the gates – dancing, singing, playing chess, etc.
Tip: Hassle-free Xian Guided ToursIf you don’t want to go the do-it-yourself route and prefer the hassle-free escorted tours, here are some options for Xian guided tours:
Xian City Day Tour from US$69Xian Terracotta Warriors Day Tour A from US$85Terracotta Army and Song of Everlasting Performance from US$135
Xian 2 Day Tour Package from US$170 p/pXian 3 Day Tour Package from US$235 p/p
Beijing Xian High Speed Train ExperienceTop 10 Attractions in XianTips for Visiting Muslim Quarter in XianTips for Visiting Xian City WallTips for Visiting Shaanxi History MuseumTips for Visiting Xian Bell TowerHow Visit Terracotta ArmyHow to Visit Daming Palace National Heritage ParkTop 10 Photography Spots in XianThe Night View of Great Tang All Day MallTips for Visiting Hanyang Tombs XianThe Song of Everlasting Sorrow Show in XianTips for Visiting Big Wild Goose PagodaTips for Visiting Huaqing Hot Springs in XianHow to Visit Mount HuashanTop 10 Hostels in Xian Best Time to Visit Xian
Any questions, just drop a line.
Tags: How to Get to Xian City Wall, How to Visit Xian City Wall
This entry was posted
on Sunday, October 18th, 2020 at 8:00 am and is filed under Xian Attractions & Tips, Xian Travel.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.