Seven die after ingesting hand sanitiser in replacement for alcohol

A group of nine people in total drank hand sanitiser at a party in Russia leaving seven dead

Seven people have died in Russia after ingesting hand sanitiser in replacement for alcohol at a party on Thursday night.

In total, nine people ingested the substance at a premises in Tomtor village in the Yakutia region, reports MailOnline.

Two others remain in a coma with the first three victims being a female aged 41 and two males aged 27 and 59.

A further three out of the seven were also aged between 28 and 69.

Per MailOnline, the federal public health watchdog said: “Nine cases of poisoning with sanitiser have been registered, including seven that were fatal.”

According to reports, the nine drank the hand sanitiser, made of 69% methanol, when there was no more alcohol at the party left.

The Russian government has renewed warnings, visible on the bottles, for its citizens to not consume the contents.

Want Buzz.ie news updates? Sign up to our newsletter!:

Read More